Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ah, power outages

Good news: When the power went out last night I had on hand plenty of candles ready and waiting for the chance to light my room to a nice, warm glow. I also had a fully charged computer battery and plenty of books, and a cell phone, too.

Bad news: The generous souls who keep giving me candles always give me the nice, scented sort. My bedroom smelled like a cacophony of pine, pumpkin, vanilla, various citrus fruits and gingerbread. I think this qualifies as nasal abuse.

On the plus side, the candles masked the fact that we couldn't flush the toilets or shower. Yuck.

It was inconvenient, but hey, that's pretty much par for the course over the last couple days. We watched the third X-men movie on my computer (the battery died right as the credits rolled, nice) by candlelight and Daddy picked up Chinese take-out after he took Alex to his drum lesson.

This morning I awoke to the beeping of my iPod alarm, which was taking the place of my actual alarm clock (which I left at home when I came to school, damn). I rolled out of bed and stumbled downstairs in the morning light to get some water so I might actually brush my teeth. Then we learned that The Brother still had school, just a delay, and he had to be roused and sent off with no shower and no paper that was due, as it was on his computer and hadn't been printed out in time. He was GRUMMMMMPY.

I spent half an hour chipping ice off my car- there was about a centimeter, or a quarter of an inch, of ice coating the vehicle, the grass, the trees...It was like they had dipped the world in molten glass and let it harden. The birch trees were all bent completely over and their tips had frozen to the icy grass, creating graceful arches. Pretty, but not fun to deal with on the car. I then removed the boxes of clothing and put them into Mummy's car, and once it was suitably loaded up we headed out.

The roads were okay, at least. It took us three times up the stairs, and Mummy's bad hip and my bruised knee protested every step. Mummy left for work, and I promptly showered and headed over to Dover to meet with my therapist. I'd called her a couple times to try to figure out when the appointment was, but the first time she called back and said she had no record of me, no idea who I was, and was I sure I had the right extension number?

Remember how I have issues with being forgotten? Yeah, this didn't help. Not one bit.

But she found my information, at least, and the appointment is set up so that I only am gone from the campus for three hours, instead of five like last semester.

Anyway, I'm all unpacked, except for my bed, which I haven't set up because we might be moving it around and I want to talk to my roommate. I have to get my books but I need to transfer money into my debit account first and then have Mummy pay me back... better take care of that now...

No comments: